Kara-Moon Forum
July 04, 2024, 03:39:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sweet 16  (Read 8497 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: July 15, 2011, 12:42:14 AM »

About a week ago,I was watching an episode of Miami Vice and being that this show has such a wonderful musical score in it,Billy Idol's Sweet 16 came about & I had forgot what a mesmerizing song this is. Shocked

As the story goes-a man long ago in Florida, was abandoned by his 16 year old fiance' the day before his wedding and he spent the next 28 years carving out a huge memorial made out of stone.
When Billy Idol visited this place,he was inspired to write this amazing song and I had a terrible-but fun,time trying to do a cover of it.After a week of working on it,I became burnt out on it,so the end result is a virtual disaster....but I've spent too much time on it and I just wanted to move on.

For those who are not familiar with this song,I added a YouTube link...as one obviously needs to hear the original to appreciate it,because I mucked it up big time. Roll Eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClxXDfvtoj0

-Thom

* Sweet 16(cover).mp3 (6250.44 KB - downloaded 281 times.)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 04:08:13 AM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Azell

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 07:06:19 AM »

I love your voice in this song. I prefer your version than Youtube. too well  wOO
Azell

Kara pour toujours
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 03:03:48 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement Azell,but this performance needs a lot of work,before I would approve of it.

-Thom

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 03:23:50 PM »

Well ... Thom  Shocked

I got to say I LOVE this one, mate.

I agree with Azell ... you just found that 'sweet spot' for your comfortable range.
I haven't listened to the 'tube version as I vaguely recall the original so I don't intend to make a comparison. For me there is no need. Your performance stands up on it's own.
To be honest I prefer a 'cover' to be a 'remake' rather than a strict 'copy'.

Great version Thom  Kiss  I think it's your best, and most honest, vocal to date.
If you ever have a fancy for making this a step farther away from the original I might be tempted to try some dobro licks in it  Roll Eyes

Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 07:41:24 PM »

James,

That's one of the reasons I wanted to do this song-as it was within my range,but my performance did not nearly come out as smooth as I had hoped.
That being said,a revision of this to polish things up sounds tempting...especially with the inclusion of your guitar work-as otherwise,it's just a cheap sounding karaoke tune.
There are quite a few areas of this remake I want to improve upon and it has nothing to do with trying to sound exactly like the original-but rather,to just sound natural....because I can't stand cheap karaoke versions of any song,period.

Allow me a bit of time to make the necessary polishes and I will send you what I've done,if you really want to go through with a collab.

My sincere thanks to both you & Azell,as I am really surprised by your kind words. Huh Cool

-Thom

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 08:29:14 PM »

I am really surprised by your kind words

No problem, Thom.

You know me by now, I hope.  Roll Eyes  I speak as I find.   Cheesy

As for karaoke ... I've always hated the concept of it.
One of the reasons I seldom do covers. This goes back to when I started out, in the 60's in the blues clubs. All the guys were so intent on learning 'note for note' how to play a Skip James or a Robert Johnson, or whatever ... and I would just take a song I liked and 'twist it' into my own version.

I'm still the same.  Cool

Let me know how this one develops.

Wink
James

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 01:53:42 AM »

My sincere thanks to both you & Azell,as I am really surprised by your kind words. Huh Cool

-Thom

I’m not

This is one hell of a good cover.

The only thing that I can add is that you are too critical of your own musicianship. You are a very good keyboardist, arranger, producer and an outstanding singer! You are just too hard on yourself!

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 01:57:08 AM »

Thank you kindly Mario,much appreciated,Sir! Cool

-Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 03:12:33 AM »

...Billy Idol's Sweet 16 came about & I had forgot what a mesmerizing song this is...
one obviously needs to hear the original to appreciate it,because I mucked it up big time...

Billy Idol is one of my all-time favourite pop writers/performers. This guy holds nothing back... wOO

He would be impressed with your rendition. Soulful - an "electronic folk" version of his song. Schweet!
       _______________________________________________________________________________________

...and when discussing Billy Idol, his guitarist needs to be included as part of the essential experience...

Steve Stevens, a world class flamenco/classical guitarist, and one of the most accomplished electric players in the business. Here is an example of his flexibility, as he starts off a performance with a classical guitar (a Godin) and completes the song with his electric guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5PN04vwblw&feature=related

...and a live performance with another Godin classical guitar, this time with his own band. Note the trademark black fingernails:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwf6g3HK9Y
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 04:06:57 AM by Oren » Logged

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 11:13:05 AM »

Oren,

Aahh...a fellow Billy Idol idol-er! Cool Thanks for he thumbs up on my rendition,as I really appreciate it....but I personally would not want Mr.Idol to hear this particular version...that is,at least until I do some further alterations to it! Grin

Great links you added by the way,really enjoyed them! Like Steve Stevens,Howard Jones is one helluva underrated musician as well and if I can find a particular song by him on YouTube,I'll post it.

-Thom

magmavander
Frenchy but chic
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 06:51:18 PM »

Oh yeah, I did remember this one. I am impressed by your vocal here. As someone noticed, you found the right way for your singing. Great work  Wink

Frenchy but chic
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 08:06:42 PM »

Thanks Mag! Cool

-Thom

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: