Kara-Moon Forum
October 06, 2024, 12:36:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Time  (Read 19844 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: June 08, 2011, 12:39:03 AM »

In light of the events in the past year on this forum,I got to thinking about this Alan Parsons song & how appropriate it is to how we all feel about everything that has happened.

I think an awful lot about all the things & people I couldn't stand to lose and to what has yet to come....I get overwhelmed with a feeling of asphyxiation.

However,I listened to this classic tune and then remembered to breath-as I felt uplifted by the beauty of this song and then afterwards,I could feel nothing but gratitude,for every moment of my stupid little life. Cry Smiley

Time,flowing like a river
Time,beckoning me
Who knows when we shall meet again
If ever
But time,keeps flowing like a river
To the sea
Goodbye my love,maybe for forever
Goodbye my love,the tide waits for me

Who knows when we shall meet again
If ever
But time
Keeps flowing like a river
To the sea....to the sea...

Till it's gone forever....gone forever....gone forevermore

Goodbye my friends,maybe for forever
Goodbye my friends,the stars wait for me

Who knows when we shall meet again....if ever
But time...keeps flowing like a river
To the sea....to the sea

Till it's gone forever....gone forever...gone forevermore

-Thom

* Time(cover master).mp3 (7084.93 KB - downloaded 371 times.)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 12:48:54 AM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 08:14:18 AM »

MASTERFUL

Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 02:39:02 PM »

Thanks for the thumbs up,James! Cool

-Thom

SLD Music

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 03:16:51 PM »

Thom (is that right?),

Again, really well done.  Faithful, and yet unique.  I enjoy the clean feeling of your tracks, particularly with instrumentation.  I have a tendency to pile on too much, and I'm working on that.

I feel weird asking this, and if you're not interested, that's totally cool, but I would just LOVE the chance to try my hand at the vocals for this song.  This is not in ANY way a slight on your performance (I loved it--great performance--very heartfelt and emotional and in fact inspirational).  I just love this song, and would like to contribute my take on it if you're at all interested.  Again, if you're not, I totally understand. 

If so, I'd love to get the backing track and see what I could do. 
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 06:41:29 PM »

Scott,

That's what we're all about here;collaborations....so of course you're more than welcome to exercise your pipes on my tunage. Wink

Don't know if your familiar with large file transfer services like YouSendIt,but I can send you the WAV file uncompressed,or compressed via Monkey's Audio.

Let me know....

-Thom   by the way,I appreciate your kind comments toward my cover song! Cool
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:43:02 PM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

SLD Music

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 06:57:48 PM »

Thom,

Great!  I sent you a PM with my email address.  YouSendIt is perfect.  Smiley

Scott
Azell

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 08:31:32 PM »

très belle chanson, Thom. Les paroles sont très touchantes. La musique est magnifique, mais la voix est un peu trop forcée, criarde, à mon goût, pas assez douce. Je suis époustouflée de toutes tes créations, tu es vraiment très inspiré. Bravo
beautiful song, Thom. The lyrics are very touching. The music is beautiful, but the voice is a little too forced, shrill for my taste, not sweet enough. I am blown away with all your creations, you're really inspired. Bravo
Azell

Kara pour toujours
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 09:35:07 PM »

... really well done.  Faithful, and yet unique.  I enjoy the clean feeling of your tracks, particularly with instrumentation...
...classic Thom Sneddon cover action...

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 10:28:41 PM »

Azell,

Thank you very much for the kind compliments. 8)As for the shrillness factor..well...the original artist of this song performed these high vocals in falsetto,but I did not like the way I sounded in falsetto.
I personally,prefer the shrillness over the falsetto-due to the quirks of my voice and I was just glad to be able to hit those high notes,as initially,I didn't think I could pull it off. Shocked Grin

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 10:29:29 PM »

Thanks Oren! Cool

-Thom

SLD Music

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 12:30:10 PM »

Thom,

I got the wave file.  Will have a go at it probably this weekend.  Thanks again!
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 11:13:21 PM »

... really well done.  Faithful, and yet unique.  I enjoy the clean feeling of your tracks, particularly with instrumentation...
...classic Thom Sneddon cover action...

A BIG +1

Excellent!

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 11:43:53 PM »

Thanks Mario! Cool

-Thom

SLD Music

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 02:06:53 AM »

Here's my humble contribution to your Time project, Thom.

I went ahead and made a mix with my vocals, but you're also more than welcome to take my vocal stems and do your own mix if you don't like this one.  Mixing is not my strongest suit.  I also added backing vocals faithful to the original.  If you want all the stems, just let me know, and we'll work something out with YouSendIt (can you handle zip files?).

Meanwhile, here are some points of interest for those who care:

-- The main vocal performance is a combination of 6 different takes I performed over 2 days.  This is a very difficult song to sing well, with two high sustained b-flats, so hats off to you Thom for doing it so well yourself.
-- The processed vocal includes some compression, a little off-line processing, some micro-edits, some EQ, a small amount of pitch correction (like I said, I'm not proud.  I want it to be as good as I can make it particularly in a "studio" recording), and of course, some reverb.
-- Thom's backing track is phenomenal, extraordinarily detailed and faithful to the original.  That became even more clear when I started singing to it, and I'm honored to have been able to lend my voice to such a fantastically well produced track.
-- I attenuated just a couple frequencies on the backing track a tiny amount in my mix to sort of tame the hi-hat / tamberine just a little bit.
-- This was WAY fun to do.  I've LOVED this song since I was a kid.  Smiley  Thanks for allowing me access, Thom.
-- Finally, I encourage everyone to really give a good hard listen to the original song by Alan Parson's Project.  It is a phenomenal performance, and the production is (no big surprise) absolutely exquisite.

* Time (SLD Vocal).mp3 (7051.79 KB - downloaded 410 times.)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 03:33:36 PM »

Scott,

A smooth performance in your vocals,though a bit soft & low key,but your falsetto abilities are just what this cover needed. Cool I particularly like the vocal backing tracks you added-of which I left out,as my falsetto leaves a lot to be desired.

For the most part,the vocals tracks are overpowered by the music,which is one of the aspects of this recording I would like to change.Mixing as you probably know well,is a very tedious process,drawing on so many different factors...quality of studio monitors,room acoustics and of course,an ample amount of practice,trial & error.
In the last few years,I had become more serious about my recording & mixing...upgrading my gear(powered monitors being the most crucial)-along with room treatment...as if you can't hear it correctly,you can't mix correctly,period.

If you really enjoy the mixing process,then I highly recommend you make it your strong suit(I'd really like to know what equipment your using-as judging by your website,you seem to have sufficient funding for high end gear).

Getting back to the cover at hand,I would like to create a duet,whereby I would combine both of our vocals together,to give this tune a broader,more lush quality to it...sound like a plan?

On a side note...there's one thing I am really curious about,which is,why pitch correction?The reason I ask,is that you have such a skilled voice...so how does this necessitate the use of such a function?
I completely understand your drive for perfection where studio recording is concerned(as I use the quantize function to correct my timing errors on most of my tracks),but this is something I absolutely need to do,because I can't forge myself to be a top flight bassist,pianist,guitarist,drummer,violinist etc.,just to be able to lay down a complete song.

Ironically enough,my music theory teacher back in high school,had taught us that there is no music without rhythm and yet his performances where a train wreck,because he learned to play just about every instrument you can think of,rather than perfecting his playing on one or two instruments.
Incidentally,I never took to learning music in a formal fashion,as I was self taught long before then.Fortunately,I was naturally gifted with a sharp ear for music,which is why I've always noticed errors in sheet music.
That being said,I assumed that you were following sheet music when you laid down the instrument tracks for the Imagine song,hence the notation errors.
The absence of pitch correction is something I feel very passionate about-as if you use it,you might as well be a lip-sync group like Milli Vanilli....but-to each his/her own....although I don't see where you would need it,unless of course,you were just trying to cut down on your work load & finish up in a timely manner.

Thanks again,for you accolades towards my instrumentation & vocals. Cool

-Thom

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: