Kara-Moon Forum
October 05, 2024, 09:55:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My cover of Mike Oldfields' To France  (Read 6444 times)
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« on: June 16, 2011, 12:10:55 PM »

Since there's a lot of cool covers flying around the forum lately, I thought I'd add my (admittedly old - I did it years ago) cover of Mike Oldfields' To France.

This cover was inspired by the strummed guitars patch I got when I purchased NI's Kontakt. I thought that To France would be easy to do after I layed down those strummed guitars, but it turns out that it was one of the most difficult covers I ever took on as nearly every part Oldfield plays sounds perfect in combination but on itself they sound really counter-intuitive (well, the guy's a genius...) so it took a lot of listening and relistening to each small section.

After this I gave up on doing (more or less) exact covers. Wink

* MO_To_France_by_MarcJX8P.mp3 (3777.11 KB - downloaded 327 times.)

Also known as Marc JXP
Azell

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:31:32 PM »

Undecided c'est la 1ère fois que je ne suis pas fan Sad désolée.

Embarrassed  Undecided Is the first time I'm not a fan Sad Sorry.

Kara pour toujours
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 05:10:54 AM »

Since there's a lot of cool covers flying around the forum lately, I thought I'd add my (admittedly old - I did it years ago) cover of Mike Oldfields' To France.
Mike Oldfield is one of my favourite "big production" writers/performers. This must have been a massive challenge to cover, and I think you've done a smashing job, Marc.
I wish Mike could hear it...

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 08:25:38 AM »

Undecided c'est la 1ère fois que je ne suis pas fan Sad désolée.

Embarrassed  Undecided Is the first time I'm not a fan Sad Sorry.

Comme toujours, merci pour ecouter et pour votre critique! Je suis curieux: connais-vous le original de cette cover? Est-ce que le probleme est dans la melodie, ou dans ma interpretation de l'original?

Oren: Thanks a lot mate! It was difficult to do, but you do learn a lot by doing covers when it comes to analysing arrangements. If you like Mike Oldfield, My Soundcloud player has a track called Oldfield-Esque which is an original I did, but very much based on the Tubular Bells style of songwriting. I'll put it in a new thread.

Also known as Marc JXP
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 06:42:54 PM »

I don't remember this track, but it certainly has the Mike Oldfield feel and is a great performance. Full marks for taking this on. I would never even think about trying such a challenge. There is always a tremendous amount of detail in his music.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 12:17:08 AM »

I don't remember this track, but it certainly has the Mike Oldfield feel and is a great performance. Full marks for taking this on. I would never even think about trying such a challenge. There is always a tremendous amount of detail in his music.

I don’t remember this track either  Sad   Probably just another senior moment Shocked Shocked Shocked

Like Will I would never even think about trying something like this.  However this sounds great to me.

Two thumbs up -- again 

The older I get the better I was!
magmavander
Frenchy but chic
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 05:25:01 PM »

I wasn't a fan of this particular song but you did a very good cover, very well done and sounds very good. Thanks!

Frenchy but chic
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 08:41:58 AM »

Thanks guys! Glad you like it. Smiley

Also known as Marc JXP
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: