Kara-Moon Forum
June 26, 2024, 04:00:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Love Has Got Us All(draft)  (Read 5747 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: June 12, 2012, 12:11:52 AM »

After about a month of writer's block,I had a dream about a week ago...whereby I wrote this music,performed it and recorded it-all in my state of subconsciousness,& when I awoke,I immediately went to my computer and started laying down what I could remember.

Normally,this would be a wonderful thing to have happened-especially after such a long siege of impotence(so to speak),but the problem was and still is...that I had dreamed that I had the voice of the lead singer of the Stone Roses( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D2qcbu26gs )..so of course,the song sounded great in he dream,but it went to sh*t as soon as reality hit and I tried to sing.

This whole piece is entirely off the cuff-but I hate it and all the inspiration I had from the dream was squandered by my lackluster vocals.My voice is so nasally and pinched and there's always a 50/50 chance that my vocals will be anywhere from tolerable to utterly horrific and embarrassing.

The theme of the song,was that whether or not one is in a relationship and in love,or alone and dreaming of it,love impacts us all in one form or another.I just soon scrap it all,or just transform it into a instrumental of some sort.

I don't know man....I really lost something as a musician,as I really feel like I have run out and gone empty altogether.

-Thom

* Mixdown.mp3 (2393.96 KB - downloaded 355 times.)

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 08:21:43 AM »

I like it. Cool song, really Kiss

Too bad your voice sounds like a weasel farting in a beer can, but then, to me - so does mine... Cheesy
It is a common affliction; any singer with even a pinch of character will tend to cringe at the sound of his/her recorded voice.

It's your instrument, Pilgrim. Roll with it... Cool

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 01:33:57 PM »

I like it. Cool song, really Kiss

Too bad your voice sounds like a weasel farting in a beer can, but then, to me - so does mine... Cheesy

Hmmm...maybe I should just sing out of my butt...it may not be an improvement-but at the very least,it will be entertaining....to a select few,of course. Grin

Thanks for the thumbs up and I'll see what I can do about making my vocals not sound like a**. Wink

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 02:26:34 AM »

To tell the truth I wish that I had a voice like yours, i.e. mine is god awful.  You have a great voice use it!

FWIW-when I am down and feel like I have nothing else to offer musically I will pick a sound from one of my sound sources and make a song either out of it or with it. Usually I will try one that is out of my comfort zone.  Don’t be afraid to make a mistake.  Some of my best songs came from mistakes.

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 03:04:25 AM »

Thanks for the vote of confidence Mario. Cool As for picking out sounds to evoke creativity..well...my writer's block was much deeper than that.
The fact of that matter is,I was a music writing factory for years and I've never had much else to do other than this & as a result,I was experiencing massive burn out.

I guess I just needed a long break from it,without having to worry about how and when I was going to get back into it.With this particular song,it's still on the back burner,as I've got something else in the fire that seems to be panning out pretty well. Smiley

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 01:17:42 PM »

Thom, another thing I do is to stay away from my music computer and instead just listen to music, CDs, records, radio etc, read a book, and/or do something totally else that I like to do, like taking pictures. 

I listen to things I really like and to things I may not be so fond of. For instance I will listen to David Arkenstone (one of my favorites), then some jazz blues (another favorite genre), then maybe some country.  After a fashion if that doesn’t help I will take a short story or news article (I really like to use short Science Fiction stories) then compose something about it. If that doesn’t generate anything musical then it’s off to hike and take some pictures, something that I like to do on a regular basis.  If you have someone you can jam with that will help also.

I’m sure you know all about the above but I thought I would share with you what I do. 

Good luck and if you need help just yell!

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 03:41:49 PM »

Mario,

Like I had said,I really just needed to take a long break from writing,as nothing good ever comes from trying to push myself,as if there was some sort of deadline to meet.

As for jamming with other folks..well...there's no else one here...just me,that's it.Aside from the folks here on the forum,I only have two friends left...one is in N.C. and the other is in California and only one of the two is a musician.

I've tried to encourage him to get back into writing and I even sold him my old Tascam multi-tracker to help him get back into the game,but he's a tough sell.
He has much to learn about equipment and he doesn't have a computer,so collaborating is not an option yet.

Anyhow,thanks for sharing your writing techniques.

-Thom

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: